Notice You Must Give
- If you discover a defect in VGC’s work which you think is covered by warranty, notify VGC in writing within 10 days of having knowledge of the defect. VGC shall be given first opportunity to promptly repair, replace, and/or correct the item found to be defective, or that fails to function properly, at no cost to the owner, within, a reasonable period of time. This warranty does not apply to any construction work that has been subjected to an accident, misuse and abuse, nor to any construction work that has been modified, altered, defaced, and/or had repairs made/attempt by others. If you fail to notify VGC in writing within six months after you discover (or should have discovered) the defect, the warranty removes VGC’s obligation to correct that defect.
For home improvement work involving major structural changes or additions to a residential building, the VGC warrants to the Owners:
- For a two year period, the Home improvement shall be free from defects caused by faulty workmanship and defective materials due to non-compliance with building standards; and,
- For a five year period, the home improvement shall be free from major construction defects.
- For home improvement work involving installation of plumbing, electrical, heating or cooling systems, the VGC warrants to the Owner that, for a two year period, the home Improvement shall be free from defects, caused by faulty installation of the system or systems.
- For any other home improvement work not covered by paragraphs 1 and 2 above, the VGC warrants to the Owner that, for two year period, the home improvement shall be free from defects caused by faulty installation of the system or systems.
- The warranty periods commence upon completion of the home improvement. The warranty period shall not be renewed or extended if VGC performs correction work required by the Warranty.
Exclusions From Coverage
VGC is not liable for any of the following loss or damage that might occur to the home improvement:
- Loss or damage not reported by the owner, in writing within six months after the owner discovered the loss or damage.
- Defects in design, installation or materials which the owner supplied, installed or had installed under his direction.
- Secondary loss or damage such as personal injury or property damage.
- Normal wear and tear.
- Shrinkage due to the “drying out” of the improvement after construction, within tolerances of building standards.
- Dampness and condensation due to insufficient ventilation after occupancy.
- Negligence, or improper maintenance or alteration by parties other than VGC.
- Owner’s failure to keep and maintain the improvement in good repair and condition.
- Owner’s failure to take timely action to minimize damages whenever feasible.
- Loss or damage which occurs after the improvement is no longer used primarily as a residence.
- Accidental loss or damage including, but not limited to fire, explosion, smoke, water escape, windstorm, hail or lighting, falling trees, aircraft and vehicles, floods and earthquake.
- Damage due to defects in existing structure or systems which is not caused by the home improvement.
- The home improvement warranties do not include products or materials installed that are already covered by implied or written warranty.
- The home improvement warranties cover residential buildings but do not include swimming pools or other recreational facilities detached garages, driveways, walkways, patios, boundary walls, retaining walls not necessary for the structural stability of the building, landscaping, fences, nonpermanent construction materials, off-site improvements, and all other similar items.
This limited warranty does not cover:
- Any work where the VGC did not supply the paint or other materials.
- Any work which was not performed by VGC.
- Varnished surfaces.
- Surfaces made of, or containing, galvanized metal.
- The cost of paint required to perform the repairs.
- Repairs to horizontal surfaces or any surface that, by virtue of its design permits moisture to collect. Surfaces include, but are not limited to, decks, railings, stairs, porches, roofs, and wood gutters.
- Exact paint match as environmental conditions will affect the color and finish of all paints over time.
- Any repairs which are necessitated as a result of a defect in the paint regardless of whether the paint was supplied by VGC or the customer.
- Bleeding caused by knots, rust or cedar.
- Cracks in drywall, plaster or wood.
- Peeling, blistering or chipping where they are caused by:
- Mill-glazing from smooth cedar.
- Ordinary wear and tear.
- Abnormal use or misuse.
- Peeling of layers of paint existing prior to the work performed by the VGC.
- Structural defects.
- Settling or movement.
- Moisture content of the substrate.
- Abrasion, mechanical damage, abrasive cleaning, abuse, or damage resulting from use of chemicals or cleaning agents or exposure to harmful solids, liquids or gases.
- Damage or defects caused in whole or in part by reason of fire, explosion, flood, acts of God, extreme weather conditions, misuse, alterations, abuse, vandalism, negligence, or any other similar causes beyond the control of VGC.
Repairs under this limited warranty will be performed only on the specific areas where peeling, blistering or chipping has occurred and only to the level of surface preparation described in the preparation section of this Contract.
VGC is not responsible for upgrade or additional costs or expenses that may be required to meet current building or zoning code requirements or correct code violations.